Sunday, April 24, 2011

I'm not an ambi-turner

As Derek Zoolander said, " I'm not an ambi-turner. It's a problem I had since I was a baby. I can't turn left". I confess, I can't bi-lateral breathe....How can I call myself a triathlete and not be able to breathe on both sides right? I've been living with the secret ever since my Half Ironman, but it's time to come out and admit it. I've been working on it, but there's a distinct possibility that I may be the only triathlete that does Ironman breathing on one side. Guess I'll have to work on my Blue Steel look to make up for it.

Huge news, I've made my fundraising minimum for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!!! Thank you so much for your generosity - I definitely will keep fundraising but am so thrilled to have raised just over $5200 so far! Training for a higher purpose helps get me through the rough mental patches so thanks everybody! Training for the past week is below - about 12 hours of training (hour of it STrx):

Mon: 3000y Starting to work a bit more on speed with some shorter drills with quick rests. Here was some of the main drill: 2 x 200 (:20), 1 x 100 (20), 2 x 300 (30), 1 x 100,2 x 400 (40), 1 x 100. Felt pretty good!

Tue: 6 mile run, Fartlek/strides intervals. This was a gut buster at 5am but now I'm sucking down a hammer gel pre run so I'm not bonking as badly as I was with just running on an empty stomach. Still isn't fun but ya just gotta do it.

Wed: 2700y. I did this on my own and skipped the group swim. Still trying to work out a schedule to make the group workouts but for now, still missing most of the Wednesday night swims.

Thur: 20 mile bike. I did this at the gym, my bike was in my car with it's front wheel off and all of my gear in it and frankly, I was just too lazy to go get it, put together, hook it up on the trainer and ride in my living room. Sad but true. I think it's a good indication that I'm totally over the trainer at this point. Rode the Spinner bike (the cool one that has the spin class programmed into it or you can ride with your mp3 player). I jammed music and did intervals.

Fri: 2900y. Wrote my program for the swim down, conveniently forgot it in my car and didn't feel like going back out to get it (see LAZY above). Just did a wing it routine since I remembered the distance but not the actual program. I keep trying to get the left breathing down but it's bad so I worked on that a good bit. I don't know what my deal is. I can do it but it's so incredibly awkward and ineffective that I wait for almost nobody to be in the pool to do it. I'll keep working on it but don't know that I'll get it enough to actually try in a race. We'll see.

Sat: 62 mile bike, 2 mile run. Great ride with the whole team. I'm not a big talker when I ride or run so I usually just kind of hang with people. Not draft but just stay with the crew that seems to be about my pace for the day. It's not that I'm so intense I don't want to talk. It's really that I'm wanting to connect in with my surroundings - the landscape, the sounds, everything. Not to mention, I value silence living with a 4 year old daughter! I punked out on the run, was supposed to do 3 but did 2. Was running with a teammate and we made the executive decision to do 2 instead. I haven't been good about getting in my bricks so it was painful.

Sun: 8 mile run. Nothing remarkable to report here. Just another run on a holiday but dang those caramel filled chocolate easter eggs make it all worthwhile! Pre run was Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd:

Run, run, run, run
You better run all day
And run all night 

Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment