Monday, May 9, 2011

Are you in the pain cave?

Paige and Me right after the Lula Ride

Up until Saturday, this week had been great for training, mentally and physically. Not sure what switched from last week but all of my workouts were much stronger than they had been, whew!!

Monday: 3000y. Pool was packed today. Rarely have I had to split a lane at 5:30a but this week it happened. I think everybody is getting ready for tri season! Here was my workout - W/U: 400 SW 300 PULL 200 K,1 x 400 IM race pace (:20RI),2 x 200 (:15RI),1 x 400,Half IM race pace (:20RI),2 x 200 (:15RI),1 x 400 Olympic distance race pace,CD 100

Tuesday: 22miles bike, 2 mile run brick. Did the star trac spin bike followed by a 2 mile run on the 'mill. I'm probably getting too used to riding the spin bike with the ipod attached but it sure is fun I must say. Hit up on an 80s mix with a little Journey, Wheel in the Sky to keep cranking -

Sent a letter on a long summer day
Made of silver, not of clay
I’ve been runnin’ down this dusty road

Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin’
I don’t know where I’ll be tomorrow
Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin’

Wednesday: Had a stomach ache so not looking forward to Wed night group swim. Met the team and we convened outside in the grass at the swim center to talk about practice and recommitment. Had the hood of my hoodie up trying to get myself mentally into the swim when our coaches told us we weren't going to swim but were going to grab dinner, drinks at Taco Mac. Can I get a woohoo?! Had a beer and appetizer and just laughed with the team. GREAT! No swim!!

Thursday: 7 miles. By the time I got home and finally fell asleep Wed night, I got about 5.5 hours of sleep before I had to get up to run. Forgot my gel so had my doubts based on past history with lack of sleep and food prior to run. Turned out it was a really, really solid run. Heart rate under control, felt good. I think I'll write a book now that I've discovered this new training secret. Less than 6 hours of sleep, beer and cheese sticks and you'll improve your run performance - it worked for me!

Friday: 2600y. Lots of kicks, lots of pulls. Swim was much quieter today. Funny how the gym really clears out by the end of the week.

Saturday: 52 mile bike. Was supposed to be 66miles and a run but here's where my title comes into play. Had a great ride planned with the team and my Ragnar Relay best partner and friend in the whole world, Paige. Couldn't wait!! We headed out to the North Georgia Mountains in Lula GA. Knew this would be a challenging but fun ride. First thing that happens is Paige's spoke breaks about 20 miles in to the ride. So we tape it like MacGyver and keep going. Now it sounds like she's got a deck of cards in her spokes, just making a ton of noise as a piece is stuck inside her wheel banging away. About 35 miles in, my left knee twinges (did it last week too but with only 5 miles to go) and I feel it hurting but not horribly. We stop at 40miles at a rest stop and as we're leaving my knee really hurts now. Keep going, focus on something else. We go past the 50 mile turn off and I get another sharp pain that brings tears to my eyes. We stop for a second and decide to turn back around and join the last bit of the 50 mile course. I really didn't think I could pedal anymore, let alone up the final climb that was 5 miles long and crazy steep. Felt like a weenie and was so disappointed to bail out prior to 66 mi but now know it was the right decision. Paige looked at me and said, 'Are you in the pain cave?' which just cracked me up. We finished up at 52 with a broken spoke and a jacked up knee. Ice bath when I got home but no improvement.

Sunday: Was supposed to run today but my knee is still really tender so took Brooke to the park and that was it. Last week when it twinged at the end of the ride, it felt totally fine by Sunday so I have to admit I'm a little worried that it's still in pain. Doesn't hurt when I walk, it's really on the bend and it's the medial side, mid to upper knee. Thankfully this is a step back week so I'm going to take it easy and just baby it a bit to make sure I don't damage it any further and it heals.

No comments:

Post a Comment