Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Holy Heat Batman!

 
Yep, this is how I must look training in the heat right now

We've now switched to a 2:1 schedule - 2 weeks hard, 1 week recovery. It was 3:1 so it's nice to get a little step back a week earlier than we've had. The recovery is leading up to the Death Valley 3K open water swim this weekend. Death Valley, geesh, not thinking I like the word 'death' in the title of the race as I go for my first 3000 in the open water next week. Send some strong swim vibes for Saturday - to say I'm scared of this race is an understatement. Take a look:

Mon: 600y Open Water, 2500m pool. Met the team out at Mary Alice Park. I brought mini me with me just to go out and watch the team but my fabulous teammate Sally, offered to watch Brooke after she finished her swim so I could do a swim too. THANKS SALLY! I did just one loop so Sally didn't have mini me for too long so I ended up going to the gym later to get the rest of the distance. Amazing what holidays used to be compared to now - gotta love it! Thanks to all of our men and women serving and those that have served in the past- Happy Memorial Day!

Tue: 22 mile bike. Power intervals again.Hard workout...

Wed: 3600m swim. Tasted perfume the majority of the swim. The lady next to me must have had a ton on for me to smell and taste it in the lane next to her. It definitely didn't diminish in chlorine so that is some serious scent! WU 500 as: 300 Moderate / 200 build by 50, 1000 Moderate (0:30 RI),2 x 500 as build by 100 finishing last 100 at T-pace effort or faster (0:30 RI), 10 x 100 as: Odd: Moderate; Even: Fast (0:15 RI) CD 100 EZ. Yikes, right?

Thu: 6 mile run. Pick ups throughout, serious panting going on around here. 

Fri: 2500m swim. Kicks, drills, stroke counts. Not so exciting really.

Sat: 70 mile bike. On.the.trainer.A good percent of the team rode the gaps (N GA mountains), but Brad had to work so there wasn't going to be time for me to drive up north, ride the mountains and then get back in time without hiring a babysitter so I had no other choice. The trainer really, really isn't fun for that long of a ride. I did watch my DVR of IM to try to keep my spirits up but that didn't work for the whole time so just watched trashy reality tv after the inspiring IM coverage.

Sun: 11 mile run. This was a challenge after having some dead legs from Saturday. I ended up having to do this on the treadmill at our gym where we live (not my 'real' health club). I'm not going to lie, there was some walking happening, I couldn't run the whole way. The treadmills are the old school Landis so they're like running on a surface harder than asphalt, just no give at all. I ended up feeling like I had shin splints on my right leg afterwards. Iced it, rolled the 'stick' over it a lot and then slathered it up with some ben gay type stuff. Our daughter didn't want anything to do with me given the medicine smell on my leg. I'll have to remember that next time I need a little red wine and quiet time alone. Cooled down to Collective Soul - Run:

Is there a cure among us
From this processed sanity
I weaken with each voice that sings
In this world of purchase
I'm going to buy back memories
To awaken some old qualities

Have I got a long way to run
Have I got a long way to run
Yeah, I run
Have I got a long way to run
Yeah, I run
Have I got a long way to run

See you next week everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment