Monday, July 4, 2011

Are you walking Santa? C'mon, pick it up!


GA Peachy Runs

Walked down to the Peachtree Road Race 10K this morning to see some teammates running and ran into this GREAT EMS who was heckling the racers at the finish. One of the things he said is my title this week. A santa look a like was walking about 2 blocks from the finish and so he yelled at him, 'Are you walking Santa? C'mon, pick it up'! It was classic. Anybody that was walking that last 2 block section to the finish he would yell, 'Stop walking, you're 2 blocks from the finish!','Unless you've got a pacemaker, you have no excuse to walk right now this close to the finish','Stop walking, pick it up, it's 80% mental at this point'. Total entertainment value let me tell you. The number of people that started running after he'd guilt them into it was amazingly high.

Here's training for last week - recovery week:

Mon: 2900m swim. This workout was primarily a kick, pull, swim workout that I really enjoyed. I don't know what's wrong with me but I'm really liking the kick pull swim repeats. I need to get a new suit though. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and I think the strap is hitting my shoulder in a bad place that keeps making it click and hurt. Never had that until I switched suits so off to buy another new one.

Tue: 20 mile bike/2mile run. Pretty uneventful.

Wed: 2500m swim. Really like a speed workout, lots of distance with negative split then 100 fast. Took it out of me for sure. Neck sore from trying to keep my head pressed down. Focused on keeping my head very low in the water and only one eye coming out of the water when breathing.

Thu: 8 mile run. So far this week my workouts have been really strong. I've had a lot of recovery weeks that seemed really more difficult than they should've been but this recovery week has been great so far. Was listening to Temper Trap's Sweet Disposition for this run:

So stay there
Cause I'll be coming over
While our blood's still young
It's so young, it runs
We won't stop 'til it's over
Won't stop to surrender

Fri: 2200m swim. I'm trying to stretch after swimming now, haven't been doing that. Grabbed my IPOD and listened to Robert Plant Big Log for stretching today. Hadn't heard it in so long and it was AWESOME - totally relaxing:

My love is in league with the freeway
Its passion will ride as the cities fly by
And the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night
And the questions in thousands take flight
My love is the miles and the waiting
The eyes that just stare, and the glance at the clock
And the secret that burns, and the pain that won't stop
And it's fuelled once again
Leading me on - leading me down the road
Driving me on - driving me down the road

Sat: 50 mile bike. No formal team ride this weekend with the 4th of July holiday weekend but about 10 of us met up at the silver comet and had a nice ride. I'm looking at a new bike since mine is about 2 sizes too small. I'm waiting to hear from the bike shop about a LOOK 576 to make sure my dimensions look good for it. I'm really uncomfortable on my bike so can't wait for my new ride! Switching nutrition from Hammer to EFS since the last long ride we had my stomach was cramping and screwed up. No cramping with EFS but it was an easy 50 so the true test will be this coming weekend with 70+.

Sun: 2mile fast run. Was supposed to be a rest day but I got myself worked up about something and had to go out and run to clear my head. Working on picking up my feet and butt kicking more which definitely increases my pace but I'm having much harder runs cardiovascularly. I watched a lot of runners at the Peachtree today and the faster people were definitely kicking up towards their butts more. The slower the runners, the more the shuffle look. Very interesting. Don't think I can keep that kick up for 10+ miles though so maybe a kick shuffle until I get it together.

We're about halfway through training now. Hard to believe. Please consider helping me raise $10K for Leukemia and Lymphoma. I haven't had any donations in a month so if you're holding out to see if I'll make it, I've made it halfway!! Thanks for making your tax deductible donations and supporting our Teams efforts to raise $500K. We're at about $180,000 as a team so far I think. Have a safe holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment