Sunday, March 27, 2011

Shift Happens

Holly and Paige before 12 mile night run (Our 2nd Leg - Ragnar) 
This picture was taken right before my ultra super cool friend Paige and I took off to do our 2nd leg of Ragnar in Jan 2011 (Miami to Key West) - 12 miles starting around 9 or 10pm. We had on our headlamps, blinkie butts, reflective vests and were ready to go. We ran single file on the side of the open highway, mostly in silence other than the occasional, "what was that noise?" and laugh. It was one of my all time favorite runs EVER. We ran under the most beautiful sky, just full of bright beautiful stars and so quiet and dark when there were no cars. It was like it was a dream where you catch yourself running and think, am I really on the side of the highway in Florida at 10pm running or is this just a crazy dream? This week we're trying to gather those 'thoughts' that will carry us through the tough mental spots of Ironman. This is one of mine - thanks Paige!

As the title this week said, shift happened. One thing I've learned is not to be obsessive about my schedule. I've got a full time job, family, life and training doesn't always intersect perfectly. This week I really had to change things around based on Brad being out of town a lot and my not being able to go to the gym.

Monday: Swim scheduled but rode the trainer instead since I couldn't go to the gym. Did 1:15:00 on bike. No idea on speed since my cateye needs a new battery. Felt good though.

Tuesday: Bike again (on schedule). Did 1:15:00 again. 15 minute warm up with a good bit of pick up intervals. Again, nice ride. Caught up on real housewives dvr..

Wed: Swim - 3300y. Now technically I could've made it to the group swim. I had a late meeting that I was leading from 5:30-6:30p at work and by the time we finished, re-set the meeting room it was about 7. Group swim starts at 7:45p so I was going to have to hang around work to waste time before it started. I thought about it... Thought about it... Then I decided I would go to the gym to swim on my own so I could get home earlier. I was super crabby from so many meetings on M-W so it was probably best I protected the team from being subjected to my bad attitude

Thur: 6 mile run. This was finally a good run for me, about damn time. 15 minute warm followed by 7x1 minute pickups, 3 minute recovery jog between. I end up doing the majority of my runs on the treadmill since it's just not safe for me to run alone at 5am outside so I get the bonus of music when I run on the tmill. I have some songs that I listen to working out because there's just something in a lyric that makes me push. This workout it was part of Foo Fighters Pretender:

I'm the voice inside your head, you refuse to hear
I'm the face that you have to face, mirrored in your stare
I'm what's left, I'm what's right, I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that'll take you down, bring you to your knees

So, who are you?
Yeah, who are you?
Yeah, who are you?
Yeah, who are you?

Keep you in the dark you know they all pretend

What if I say I'm not like the others
What if I say I'm not just another one of your plays
You're the pretender
What if I say I will never surrender

I kept thinking of the doubt in my head about training and the race and those lines were just killing it for me.

Friday: Swim - 2000y Slept right through my ealy workout time. I was just wiped and by the time I woke up, it was too late to get it in before work. So that was not fun having it just loom over my head all day. I left work right at 5p and got over to the gym. The gym is a different place at 5p vs 5a. Packed with people - locker room full. Got a lane to myself most of the time but of course had to share at one point with Captain breastroke with the massive frog kick and 75 year old body in a tiny speedo. Head back to the locker room and my locker is right next to the completely naked woman practically doing calisthenics while I stand there waiting to get a slice of space to open my locker. She finally finishes and takes her towel, throws it over her shoulder and walks off to another area of the locker room, yes, still totally naked. I don't know, maybe its me but I thougth the towels were for your to wrap around your body to cover it up a bit.

Saturday: 2:30:00 bike trainer. We were supposed to do 50miles out in Cartersville but the weather was not looking good so hit the trainer instead. Watched my dvr of IM Kona to keep myself occupied. I watch that and just can't believe I'm going to be doing IMAZ. Really?

Sunday: 8 miles. Today just rocked. Even though I didn't get to run until lunchish. Had a hammer gel right before starting since I didn't really get lunch and had a fantastic run. We have time and distance goals on our training schedules and you basically go by either unless noted not to exceed the time. Today I went on distance so went a little over our time but I just couldn't stop - in the zone baby!

On the fundraising side - I was number 5 on our team last week for total funds raised thanks to some personal and corporate donations. BUT! This week I haven't gotten any donations. Please consider donating any amount - $10, $25, any amount helps with research and treatment of blood cancers so please keep donating! Also, I love to see the comments so please keep commenting and letting me hear from you, it helps keep me going on this journey to Ironman and raising funds for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!

No comments:

Post a Comment