Monday, March 7, 2011

We now return you to your scheduled program

So after a brief hiatus where I switched jobs, joined the GA Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Ironman Training Team and you know, completely changed my schedule, I'm back! I was having a hard time given all of the turmoil getting my training in by myself so I decided that it was time to team back up with the purple people and raise some dough. I don't know, I guess it makes me feel a little less selfish about the amount of time I'm spending on myself vs. my family. So far my husband, the Iron Sherpa, has been handling the change in our home life but really, we're just getting started right? I hope he hangs in there with the patience, I think he will, he's a pretty great guy!

In January I flew to Miami with 4 other Atlanta IrunMommies to do Ragnar (190 miles - Miami to Key West). During the race, my super cool, super awesome friend Paige and I ran a little over 21 miles over 3 legs. Probably my favorite of the 3 was the one that you would least expect to be. It was 12 miles at about 10pm along the highway in the Keys. We had on headlamps and little blinkie tail lights and it was just so dark and beautiful. The sky had a million stars, it really was amazing. You wouldn't think that having a 12 mile run in the pitch black when you're normally sleeping would be fun but it was just cool. I love me some Paige after Ragnar. We got 'stuck' in Key West for 4 extra days due to the weather in Atlanta, just Paige and me and it was fabulous. We laid out, had drinks, went sailing and kayaking, ran. Best vacation I've had in a while.

So flash forward to current days. I'm in the full throws of Ironman training so my week is getting up everyday at 4:45am, heading to the gym to start working out at 5:15a or so, getting ready for work at the gym and going straight to the office arriving around 7:30am. I take off at 5p and head to pick up Brooke, make dinner and bedtime. Next day is the same as the last. Here is my schedule from this past week:

Monday: Swim at 5:15a. Did 2500 yards and then went off to do a bit of strength training. Not a bad start to the day! Off to work at about 7:25. Pretty much I've had to make the decision that to get all of the training in and be to work at a reasonable time, I have to leave well before work and just get ready at the gym. I don't get to see Brooke before she goes to school unfortunately but at least I can leave work around 5 and pick her up, have dinner and get more time with her before her bed. I hate to not see her in the morning but this seems to be the best time to get the training in M, T, Th and F. Assume all AM workouts are at the 5-5:30a time period
Tuesday: AM Bike for 15 miles. Easy peasy!
Wednesday: 2700 yards. Evening group swim with the team. Got home from work, spent about an hour at home then off to Dynamo Swim. 7:30p group meeting then onto the swim portion from 8-9p which really ends up being more like 8:10 to 9:20, haha! Home at 10p
Thursday: 6 miles AM run. Just wasn't feeling it the whole time. High heart rate to start and speedwork on the schedule so that doesn't make for a fun workout. Started with a couple mile w/up then 7x1 minute pickups 2 min recovery. Finished the rest with cool down pace. Just ugly. Had to sit down on the bench in the shower was so lightheaded. Not enough calories between the late workout Wed and early workout Thurs
Friday: 2200 yards AM. Good solid swim, some speed work so definitely challenging. Got to work about 7:20 and by 3pm was ready to fall asleep in my office. Just completely spent.
Saturday: Flip flopped workouts for Sat and Sun so did 7 mile long (8:30am) run Saturday because of a swim clinic I was going to in the afternoon. Learned in the swim clinic that my S-pull is no longer the 'best' way to stroke so now I'm a mess. This clinic was taught by an Olympic gold medalist in swimming who just happens to be a Triathlon world champion too so needless to say, I think she may know a thing or two about swim strokes so I'll work on this new way to stroke this week.
Sunday: 2 hour ride followed by 20 minute run. This was my first brick in years and it actually felt pretty good. I kind of like that rubbery feel when you first start running off of the bike. Yes, I'm strange but if you're one of my friends, you're probably strange like that too.

If you feel so inclined - I am raising funds for LLS so donations are appreciated to help fight the good fight for those suffering from Leukemia and Lymphoma. If you'd like to donate, you can find my page here:

http://pages.teamintraining.org/ga/ironaz11/hiftner#Training-week-228-36

No comments:

Post a Comment